Monday, February 25, 2013

Luther's Sacristy Prayer

This will be the first blog post I've written on an Ipad, so I'm going to make it simple...

 I came across this Luther-related blog post: Luther's Sacristy Prayer.

This blog entry did a good job tracking down a Luther quote back to the primary source. They also provided an English translation. What I found interesting is that they didn't use LW for their translation, provided below:
But above all a ruler in the church should pray in this manner: “Lord God, Thou hast appointed me in the church as bishop and pastor Thou seest how unfit I am to attend to such a great and difficult office, and if it had not been for Thy help, I would long since have ruined everything. Therefore I call upon Thee. Of course, I want to put my mouth and heart to use. I shall teach the people, and I myself shall learn and shall meditate diligently on Thy Word. Use me as Thy instrument. Only do not forsake me; for if I am alone, I shall easily destroy everything.” [LW 5:122]
The blog entry states, "it isn't clear that Luther is offering this prayer for use just before worship." I don't see anything from the context that would indicate Luther has this in mind specifically, but it certainly could be used in such a way. They then provide what follows after from Luther, and here is how LW translates it:
The sects and the sectarians do the opposite, for they ascribe to themselves the wisdom and the ability to rule and to teach. Therefore they burst rashly into the church, do not pray, and do not believe that the administration either of the church or of the state is a gift of God; but they force themselves in as teachers and leaders. Therefore it eventually happens that they confuse and hinder what has been profitably built by others.
Interesting stuff. Here I thought I was the only one tracking this stuff down...

2 comments:

Father Anonymous said...

We're obviously soul brothers. I stumbled on your blog just after I posted that, and was enchanted by the level of excruciatingly obscure research you've done.

I didn't use LW for two reasons: first, because I don't have access to a copy at the moment (my books, including the electronic version, are in storage after three years as a foreign missionary); and, secondarily, because I wanted it in the original language.

James Swan said...

It certainly is wonderful that so many primary sources are now online. It has made tracking things down a lot easier.

"excruciatingly obscure research" is well stated. The entire "Luther said..." Internet phenomenon fascinates me. I've been at it for quite a while now, and, it seems it could go on indefinitely.