Saturday, April 16, 2011

Jeff Steinberg, “This Land”

This is just a personal note.

When I was graduated from college in 1981, having studied journalism, it was into the recession of 1981. If I recall, it was the second dip in a “double-dip” recession, and Pittsburgh was in the process of having most of its major steel mills shut down. I spent the summer unemployed; in September, then, I saw Jeff in a concert, and I was tremendously moved, at first, by the awkwardness of his handicaps, but then, by the power of his voice, and his love for the Lord.

At the end of the concert, he announced that his current sound man was leaving, and that he needed someone to travel with him who could function as a sound man, driver, and personal assistant. He asked for one year; I traveled with him for the better part of five years.

This song is one of the best, most moving things I have ever heard.


Jeff Steinberg, “This Land”



There is more information about Jeff, and several more videos, at http://www.tinygiant.com.

No comments: