Monday, March 03, 2008

Catholic E-pologetic Methodology #1

I wanted to see what it was like to do pop-Catholic apologetics, so I found this old snippet from a book from 1856. It seems fairly easy... just find a wild quote from a book long out-of-print, and type it out. I've even footnoted it as it needs to be.

"On this subject I find an account too curious to be omitted here. 'The Dean told me that an old Canon, a familiar friend of Calvin's, had formerly related to him the manner in which John Calvin died, and that he learned it from a man called Petit Jean, who was Calvin's valet and who attended on him to his last expiring breath. This man after his master's death, left Geneva, and went to reside at Noyon. He related to this Canon that Calvin on his death bed made much lamentation, and that oftentimes he heard him cry out aloud and bitterly bewail his condition, and that one day he called him and said; Go to my study, and bring from such a part, 'The Office of our Lady according to the use at Noyon.' He went and brought it, and Calvin continued a long time praying to God from this office: he mentioned that the people of Geneva were unwilling to let many persons visit him in his illness, and said that he labored under many complaints, such as imposthumes, the rash, the piles, the stone, the gravel, the gout, consumption, shortness of breath, and spitting of blood; and that he was struck by God, as of whom the prophet speaks Tetiget eos in posteriora, opprobrium sempiternum dedit eis'." [Amicable Discussion, p.60]

3 comments:

dtking said...

James,

I have a two volume set of this work, J. F. M. Trevern, Amicable Discussion, trans. William Richmond (London: Keating and Brown, 1828). The quote you provided here is on page 80 of Vol. 1 of my set. This kind of typical "hearsay" method of apologetics was employed by the writer throughout the work, and it is anything but amicable. But such was (and is) the state of Roman apologetics.

DTK

James Swan said...

I have a two volume set of this work...

This information actually helps. My copy is one volume, and I've noticed, page numbers in books citing it never match my copy. They are always around 20 pages off. Now, I know why.

BTW, I thought I was the only one with this book!

Unknown said...

such as imposthumes, the rash, the piles, the stone, the gravel, the gout, consumption,

At least it is a fun list of diseases. I haven't heard the word "piles" since I was a kid.