Saturday, June 30, 2007

Recent Purchases

I always have a constant influx of books. Here are some things I picked up this week. So far, I've been reading "The Other Bible", which is one of the best compilations of extra-Biblical material I've come across. I read the "Apocalypse of Paul" and also the "Apocalype of Peter." My only comment thus far is reading the non-Biblical New Testament texts really shows how incredible the New Testament books are. I've thumbed through "The Scriptural Roots of Catholic Teaching", and it appears to be the typical pop-apologetic stuff. Very interesting is the book "Catholicism: The Story of Catholic Christianity" by Gerald O'Collins and Mario Farrugia. Both of these authors are Roman Catholic, and it's interesting to read a non-pop-apologetic work (you know, different from the Madrid/Hahn stuff, those books geared toward the Catholic Convert epidemic).























3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey James!

I've been missing you, man. You must be working overtime these days. I'm very happy to hear that you're scheduled for the Fall semester.

What did you think of Fr. O'Collin's book? I've been wanting to read it since it came out. You know he has recently come out with a book on the Atonement. I've not read that one either, but I have no doubt that it's good.

Churchmouse said...

Hey Jim, I too picked up Whose Bible Is It? by Pelikan just this week. A theological "Pinch, poke, you owe ma a Coke!" to you my friend :)

Peace,
Ray

James Swan said...

Kepha,

I skimmed the book at borders and ended up buying it. I will be doing a blog entry on it...I noticed Amazons sells it for a lot of money, but i only paid $20 fr it. seems like a good book.

Ray- I didn't plan on buying that book, but, well, I figured out a way to rationalize buying another book.