Friday, January 19, 2007

Romanist Recommends: The Facts About Luther


I’ve been planning on doing a blog entry on which books one should use to study Luther. I’ve been planning to do this for a year. Well, I’ll get to it…eventually. People have written me and asked me, so I guess I should do what I mentioned above: put up a blog entry for quick reference so I don’t have to write the same thing over and over again.

Well, a Catholic Apologist put up a blog entry on Recommended Catholic Apologetic and Historical Books. I was going to do an entire entry on his Luther and Reformation choices, but then I figured it wasn’t really worth the time. Just scroll through his recommendations, and note he mentions Patrick O’Hare’s Facts About Luther, Hartmann Grisar’s work, Janssen, Beloc, and a bunch of others. My general comment is his Reformation recommendations are imbalanced, though a few of his suggestions have merit (Tavard and Lortz). I’m not familiar with all the authors mentioned, but if he’s recommending O’Hare and Grisar- well, as the old Monty Python line goes, “Run Away!” I’m sure he has some “sort” of reasoning behind including these outdated & refuted approaches to Luther, perhaps for “historical” value- to show how works like those put forth by O’Hare and Grisar were fundamentally flawed by their vilifying approach.

UPDATE 1/22- Father O'Hare's "Facts About Luther" was removed from his book list. Thanks for stopping by Catholic apologists!